How we help at Manchester Prison Visitors Centre
The visitors centre offers the family and friends of prisoners at HMP Manchester prison advice, information and support.
We understand prisons can be intimidating or scary places for visitors, especially children, and visiting a loved one can be difficult emotionally. Riverside Care and Support in partnership with the Ministry of Justice provide support to visitors, offering advice, information, refreshments and a supervised crèche for children.
– New visitors will receive one-to-one advice and support
– On-going advice and support on-hand
– Support and help if you have concerns for inmates
– Visitor/prison liaison, including with the prison chaplaincy and healthcare departments
– Assistance to reassure and calm you during any difficult or traumatic times
– A crèche, with qualified staff during visiting hours and a play worker
– A T-Bar serving tea, coffee, sandwiches and refreshments
How it works
Based in the prison grounds, staff and volunteers meet visitors as they arrive offering specific support for first time visitors. The centre has a walk-in service, but visitors are asked to book prior to their visit. You’ll be welcomed and reassured – with the security processes explained and what you can expect during your visit.
Getting the most out of our service
- We’re here to listen to any worries you may have and offer support, whether it’s information about the prison, or if you want to raise concerns about a relative
- If we can’t help, we can refer you to specialist external agencies, and advise on everything from mental health, bullying or coercion
- We can help with a range of services to assist health and well-being, harm reduction, and help build confidence
Why we are different
We’re here to help you. We understand it can be challenging, and potentially traumatic, visiting a loved one in a high security prison and that you may need support for yourself or your family. We’re here to advise you at these difficult times, to keep you informed, and make sure you have a voice for any issues relating to your visit.
T: 0161 817 5630
Manchester Prison Visitors’ Centre, HMP Manchester, 1 Southall Street, Manchester, M60 9AH