Are you struggling to pay your heating bills?
You may be able to get a £140 discount on your electricity bill with the Government’s Warm Home Discount scheme.
What is a Warm Home Discount?
If you are on a low income or your household is classed as vulnerable, energy companies are now footing some of your bill! All six of the major energy companies are required by law to offer the discount to their customers based on their needs. Some of the smaller energy providers also give the discount so it is worth checking with your supplier.
Even if you use a pre-pay or pay-as you-go electricity meter, you can still get the discount. Your energy supplier might give you a voucher to top up your meter for example.
Can I apply for the discount?
You automatically qualify for the discount if on 12 July 2015 all of the following apply:
- Your electricity supplier was part of the scheme
- Your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill
- You were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get savings credit as well)
If you don’t get it automatically you may still be entitled. Each energy supplier has different rules about who else they will give it to so you need to speak to your energy supplier and ask. Some of the reasons you might get it include;
- You have a child under five
- You have an income below a certain level
- You claim income support
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) claimants
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Have a child who gets a Disability Living Allowance
How do I claim Warm Home Discount?
If you qualify for the discount you will receive a letter in the post by December 24 at the latest. It will tell you either:
- You don’t have to apply – you’ll get the discount automatically or
- To apply by 29 January 2016 – the letter will explain exactly how you do this
If you don’t get a letter in the post but still think you qualify, make sure you contact the Warm Home Discount Team directly as they will be able to help you.
Warm Home Discount Scheme
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
Telephone: 0345 603 9439
Address: Warm Home Discount Team Pink Zone, 1st Floor Peel Park Brunel Way Blackpool FY4 5ES
What if I don’t qualify for the Warm Home Discount?
Don’t panic. There are other options that your energy supplier might be able to offer you if you are struggling with money. It is always worth contacting them and asking if there are any cheaper tariffs or discounts available to you based on your needs and circumstances.
You can also save money by cutting your energy use and being more economic with your boiler. It’s worth having a read of our Getting the most from your Boiler advice page which offers more guidance such as saving £55-£90 a year by simply turning down your thermostat!