With a summer of rain and some low temperatures, it’s no wonder three in 10 of us have already switched the heating on.
Recent media reports suggested that eight million households flicked the switch as early as August – a move that’s sure to push up annual energy bills.
And with winter not far off, if you’re worried about keeping warm on a budget, here’s some advice:
- Make sure you’re getting the best price – visit citizensadvice.org.uk, or call us on 0345 111 0000
- If you’re on benefits, or your household income is less than £16,000 a year, you could be entitled to a Warm Home Discount of £140 – check with your energy supplier.
- Keep the heating temperature between 18 and 21 degrees.
- Keep doors closed and use draught excluders.
- When the temperatures drop, wear several layers of clothing and keep moving around as much as you can.
- Don’t block radiators and keep them hot by bleeding them.