Veterans services




Back to top

SPACES is a housing advice line for veterans in need of support

What is SPACES?

Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services, SPACES, is a housing advice and placement service for veterans.

SPACES targets the most vulnerable of Service leavers, regardless of rank, length of service, or reason for discharge.  The SPACES office is located within The Beacon at Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire.

You’ll find:

    • The SPACES office is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, with answerphone service out-of-hours.
    • Helps to secure appropriate accommodation when you leave the Armed Forces to reduce the risk of homelessness or rough sleeping.
    • Help to find accommodation no matter where you are located across the UK.
    • Support from up to 12 months prior to discharge if you have housing concern (the SPACES team will maintain contact with you until suitable accommodation is secured).
    • All information treated in strict confidence.
    • Advice and referrals to other specialist agencies if required,
    • If you are married or a single parent, we will direct you to the Joint Service Housing Advice Office.
    • Information to assist Foreign & Commonwealth Service personnel with housing needs.
    • Optional referral to Riversides’ Care and Support bespoke accommodation centres for single veterans.

How it works

Ex-servicemen and women can contact the team via the dedicated SPACES Helpline. You can self-refer or be referred from any source to SPACES via telephone, fax, email or the internet.

SPACES complements the work of other agencies, e.g. the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO), Service Resettlement Organisation, Service Welfare Organisation, and the Departments of Community Mental Health.

Getting the most out of our service

  • We offer continuing support for as long as you require it with a ‘Future Contact’ card and phone number to contact if you require further advice or become homeless.
  • SPACES has exclusive referral rights to The BeaconMike Jackson House and Hardwick House. All schemes offer supported housing for up to 18 months with dedicated support staff, facilities and activities to support your transition to Civvy Street.
  • The BeaconMike Jackson House and Hardwick House deliver one-to-one support, assisting with mental health issues, training in readiness for employment, well-being, and daily living skills.

 Why we are different

Some of our team at SPACES are veterans themselves. We understand leaving the structured life of the services can leave you vulnerable to homelessness. You may have little understanding of how to secure rented accommodation, have no experience of budgeting or setting up home or have problems unique to veterans.

Q Will you help find accommodation for someone who has left the services?
 If you contact us within 6 months of being discharged we will actively work to secure accommodation for you. If you have been discharged longer than 6 months we will be able to provide you with housing information, signposting and advice.

Q Can I contact you prior to my discharge?
 Yes, you can contact SPACES and a file will be opened.

Q Is your service only available for service people based in the Catterick area?
 No, we work with clients regardless of their location.

Q Are you part of the Ministry of Defence?
 No, although we operate within the military environment, we are employed by Riverside Care and Support, part of the Riverside Group, working with the MoD.

Q Is it a confidential service?
 Yes, all information received will be treated in strict confidence.

Q Are you just an accommodation placement service?
 Our main aim is to place clients into appropriate accommodation. However, as part of a national housing association we can offer advice and refer clients to a wide range of other specialist agencies.

Q Can you help married personnel or single parents?
 All enquiries for married personnel or single parents are routed to the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO).

Q Do you give mortgage advice?
 No, the Housing Options Brief run by JSHAO covers this.

Q Do you have your own housing stock?
 SPACES does not manage housing stock although we are part of a national housing association, Riverside, which owns a large number of properties and may be able to offer accommodation.

Q Do you find accommodation for personnel going on leave or attending courses?
 SPACES only deals with single personnel who are due to be discharged and require accommodation.

Q. Do you assist Foreign & Commonwealth Service personnel?
 Yes, we provide information to assist F&C in regard to housing need.

Accommodation Providers

Back to top

SPACES helps to place single service leavers into appropriate accommodation throughout the UK. We are always looking for quality accommodation from: 

• Local Authority stock 
• Housing Association stock 
• Supported Housing 
• Housing projects run by charities 
• Foyer Accommodation 
• Private Landlords approved by the Local Authority 
• Private Landlords accessed via rent bond guarantee schemes 

The above list is an example of the organisations and people we contact for appropriate single person’s accommodation.

The type of accommodation is a mix of temporary and permanent, depending on the time we have to work with the customer whilst they are still a member of the Armed Forces. 

If you are able to supply us with information on suitable accommodation then please email

Help us improve

Was this article helpful?

  • We are always open to suggestions on improvements for
  • We are always open to suggestions on improvements for
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.