Gas Safety

Carbon monoxide


Carbon Monoxide (or CO) is a poisonous gas with no smell or taste. It can make you feel unwell, and even be life-threatening if it builds up.

It’s produced when fuels like gas, oil, coal and wood don’t burn fully. Accidental exposure to carbon monoxide is most commonly caused by appliances that aren’t properly installed, maintained or ventilated.

We check your gas appliances once a year to make sure they’re working properly and to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide. We’ve also installed CO detectors in all of our properties, which will sound if there’s a dangerous build-up of carbon monoxide in your home.

If your CO alarm sounds:

  • Open all windows and doors.
  • Turn off any electrical appliances and light switches.
  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter control valve (if you know where it is).
  • Call us on 0345 111 0000. We’ll report it to the National Gas Emergency Service and give you a reference number. We’ll be back in touch to book an appointment for any repairs needed.

You can find out more about the symptoms and causes of carbon monoxide poisoning on the NHS website.