Lambeth estate: Revitalising your neighbourhood

Lambeth redevelopment FAQs


To help explain the detail of the redevelopment plans, we’ve created a list of frequently asked questions from residents together with our responses. These will be updated regularly. If you have any other questions please email [email protected] or speak to Mandy Rana on 07929 368603.

How long will you pay for the CPZ parking for?

Once estate parking is removed during the construction period Riverside will pay for CPZ permits for residents who were previously issued with a permit by the tenants’ association. Riverside will cover the cost of their CPZ permit for a further five years from the date you move into your new home.

Can I pick a different removal company?

Riverside will appoint a removal company that will manage removal, wrapping and packing. We can provide further details on this closer to the date.

What guarantees can Bellway provide that the same issues which caused the programme delays last year will not come up again in the future?

Bellway have invested time and money into this project for the past five years. The issues that have caused the delays were the internal reorganisation of Bellway and amending the scheme to comply with the new guidance around second staircases for tall buildings. We do not foresee the same issues arising and Bellway have committed to recommence works in March 2024.

Will Bellway be using subcontractors?

Bellway will always be on site and managing the construction activities taking place on the estate. Specialist subcontractors will be used throughout the project and will be managed by Bellway.

Have any of the construction materials changed because of increased costs?

Costs have increased, but the building materials Bellway will use to build the new development have not changed. These materials comply with the latest safety standards.

Can I still have a landline and satellite dish?

You can still have a landline. You will still be able to have sky, however satellite dishes should no longer be required because of changes in technology; we will provide more information on this in due course.

Why has the programme timeline been extended?

The issues that have caused the delays were the internal reorganisation of Bellway and amending the scheme to comply with the new guidance around second staircases for tall buildings. We do not foresee the same issues arising and Bellway have committed to recommence works in March 2024.

How have the homes changed since the designs were amended to include the second staircases? Have the sizes of new homes changed due to the latest design amendments? Can you provide us with sizes of new homes?

All new homes will meet the latest Greater London Authority housing design standards. The layouts and sizes of the new homes will be presented at a resident event later in the year. The inclusion of the second stairwell has had minimal impact to the size of the flats. The main change to the design is a slight increase of the individual blocks length and width to accommodate the required the second staircase.

How will the new blocks be heated?

There will be temporary gas boilers in place to heat the new homes until the energy centre is built in the last phase. The new development will eventually be powered by an electric energy centre and all new homes will come with underfloor heating.

How will energy prices be set?

Riverside are negotiating these details, and we will provide further information on energy bills in our Living Cost workshop later in the year.

How will the new homes be allocated?

Riverside will share the allocation policy with residents in due course. We are aiming to start engaging with phase one residents on this in Autumn 2024.

How do you ensure that my new home will meet my current needs?

If your housing need has recently changed, please ensure that you discuss this with your housing officer. Riverside will also have individual conversations with each household to confirm your housing need before the start of the allocation process for each phase.

What will Bellway do to minimise disruption to residents during works?

Bellway have signed up to the Considerate Constructors scheme guidelines which help drive higher standards across construction activities. Dust control, noise and vibration monitoring will be in place to minimise disruption to residents. Working hours will be Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, and Saturday 8am to 1pm (where necessary). You will be given advance notice of particularly disruptive works.

Will Bellway carry out extensive checks to ensure issues and defects are addressed before we move in?

Each new block will go through ongoing rigorous checks before the moving process can begin. Riverside have already appointed a clerk of works to oversee the quality of the work.

Will condensation be an issue in the new homes?

All new homes will have a ventilation system in place and underfloor heating that meet the latest standards in terms of moisture reduction.

How long will we have to move out of our existing home?

You will not be required to move out of your existing home until your new home is ready for occupation. We will agree a moving date with residents in each phase and you will have plenty of notice ahead of your moving date.

What company have you consulted with regarding accessibility of the new homes?

We have appointed an Occupational Therapist consultant called Home Independence. They will be conducting individual assessments with those individuals who require Aids & Adaptations in their new homes. A number of homes will be built to wheelchair accessible standards.

I am a young adult living with parents, will I be entitled to a home in the new development?

This is no longer possible, and we advised residents of this back in October 2022. Lambeth feel that this offer resembles a (Sons & Daughters) policy which they deemed unfair some time ago.

What about security in the new development?

Bellway have started to liaise with the police about security measures, including lighting and communal door specifications. We will provide further information in due course.

If I buy a new vehicle in the future and have never owned a vehicle previously, can I obtain a CPZ permit through Riverside?

We have committed to providing parking permits to those who were previously issued one by the tenants’ association. We will not provide additional parking permits for any new vehicles; however, you may wish to contact Lambeth about obtaining a CPZ parking permit at your own cost.

Will there be a container next to the Lilford Road entrance?

There won’t be any containers at this location. Materials will be stored safely on the loading bay and away from residents’ windows. This is to minimise traffic of heavy vehicles within the estate.

What about security along the hoarding lines?

Areas along the hoarding will be well lit and CCTV will be installed by Bellway.

What about insulation of the new homes?

All new homes will come with triple glazing and will meet the latest energy efficiency standards.

Will we be able to control the underfloor heating in our new homes?

Yes, you will be able to switch it on and off and control the temperature. We will provide further details in due course.

Can we choose a different energy provider or will this be chosen for us?

You won’t be able to change the heating provider as this is allocated to the whole development; however, you will be able to switch to your preferred provider of broadband, electricity, etc.

Am I still entitled to my bedroom need plus one room in the new development?

If you are required to downsize, you will be entitled to your bedroom need plus one.

I am carrying heavy shopping bags from my car up a flight of stairs to my flat. Is there anything you can do to provide a closer parking space to my home?

We are currently reviewing the parking situation and we will provide further information in due course.

How will you deal with my mail once we’re ready to move?

We will register all new addresses with Royal Mail once the building has been completed. This will ensure your letters will be redirected to your new address from the day you move in your new home. Riverside will cover costs associated with this under your disturbance payment, as well as your moving costs (removals, packing and wrapping). We will provide more information on this at a later date.

What has happened to the housing officer and regeneration surgeries?

Due to the delays to the programme, we temporarily paused the surgeries. We will resume your monthly surgeries from April, they take place on the first Tuesday of every month at 1 York Close between 4:30pm and 6:30pm.

What should I do if my housing needs have changed?

We appreciate that circumstances may have changed since they were last recorded, we want to reassure you that we will continue to work with you to meet your housing need. If your housing need has changed, please discuss this with your housing officer.

I have special adaptation requirements due to disability. Will my property be designed to accommodate these needs?

Yes, we will ensure that your new home will meet your needs. An independent Occupational Therapist (OT) will be assessing resident needs before the start of the allocation process for each phase. Where applicable the OT’s recommendations will be incorporated in the designs of the individual homes.

If we don’t move for 3 years, what do we do about repairs that need to be done to the property?

Riverside will continue to deliver these services to you as usual throughout the duration of the redevelopment project. Please continue to report any housing and maintenance issues through our Customer Contact Centre to ensure all queries are dealt with centrally and directed to the relevant teams.

Can you ensure that you liaise with local residents about the development?

Bellway will be delivering notices to residents in close proximity to the estate on Lilford Road, Kenbury Road and Flaxman Road.

Frequently Asked Questions (2023)

Who is the developer?

Riverside is in a joint venture partnership with Bellway, one of the UK’s largest house builders, to develop the new Lambeth estate.

Bellway was selected as our preferred developer partner in early 2018 following a detailed and robust tender process. Bellway is committed to working with tenants to understand what they want the future estate to look like.

Bellway has attended a number of consultation events, Resident Steering Group meetings and site visits to work with tenants through the design consultation process and this relationship will continue throughout the construction stage.

What if the construction dust causes health problems?

In medical circumstances, an off-site move may be possible subject to a property being available.

How will Bellway manage the dust?

We have measures in place to control dust and monitoring devices. Hoarding will be erected to reduce this; we can also mist down, as well as use wet cement deliveries to minimise the dust across the site. We have to report all measures back to the Council for approval.

What is the distance from the cars parking in the temporary carpark to resident windows?

From resident windows to the wall that runs adjacent to Lilford Road, this is approximately six meters, once a car park is parked parallel to the wall it will be approximately three meters between the car and residents’ windows.

Can you give me a general idea of what my new home will be like?

All of the homes on the estate (1-84 Geoffrey Close, 2-28 York Close and 1-24 Canterbury Close) will be demolished and replaced with modern new homes.

Most of the new homes will be larger than existing properties with bigger kitchens and bathrooms. Each home will have a private balcony or garden, and all blocks will be served by a lift.

Tenants will be able to choose fittings such as kitchen units, worktops, and flooring from a range chosen by the Residents’ Steering Group. The new homes will be cheaper to heat and will have fibre-optic connections for high-speed broadband.
We are working to ensure that each household can park their existing vehicles on the new estate based on the vehicle ownership numbers gathered during the Housing Needs Survey.

The new buildings will be designed and built to the highest fire safety standards, with sprinklers in all blocks.

You can find further detail and artists’ impressions of the new flats, including balconies, fittings and security measures, in Riverside’s offer document.

Tenants will have an opportunity to see the final plans before we submit a planning application. Once planning permission has been agreed, we will allocate homes, primarily on the basis of need as identified in our Housing Needs Survey (conducted between October 2017 and May 2018). We will clearly set out the criteria for allocating properties in our Allocations Policy.

Can the walls support the hanging of TVs and other heavy items?

Bellway will install a secondary plywood behind plasterboard to ensure you can hang heavy items such as TVs. We are also looking at sustainable energy options for the new scheme.

Can we buy our own fixtures and fittings (such as taps) and ask Bellway to fit them?

Riverside will agree a range of fixtures and fittings for the new homes that will be installed before you move in, we would not fit items purchased by residents.

Will I get to choose an open or closed plan flat? Can I have windows in both the kitchen and bathroom? Can I choose which floor my flat will be on? Can I choose to live next to/move away from my current neighbour?

All of the above will be noted as your preferences. Your new home will be primarily allocated based on your housing need, we will then work with you to meet your preferences as far as possible, however we cannot guarantee these.

Please note that all homes and all floors will be accessible. Ground floor homes will be allocated based on housing need and preferences and not based on disability/mobility issues.

Will there be windows in both the kitchens and bathrooms?

We are working to provide as much natural light in your homes as possible, we are progressing with design and will confirm the exact detail of windows in homes over the coming months.

How will the heating work in the new homes, will there be radiators?

To ensure that we can meet our energy targets and to provide more energy efficient homes, we will be providing underfloor heating in the new homes, there will be no radiators. Residents will have individual control of heating within their homes.

Will the new homes be better insulated to reduce noise transference?

The new homes will benefit from a reinforced concrete structure, which will provide better insulation and sound proofing. There will be suspended ceilings over thick walls.

Will the new homes be gas or electricity?

The new homes will be all electric.

Why will we have no windows in bathrooms?

Due to the number of new homes we are providing in the new scheme, it won’t be possible to provide homes with windows in bathrooms. All habitable rooms (bedrooms and lounge) will have a window; the majority of kitchen will have windows. This is what we shown residents previously. There will be a ventilation system in place that covers the whole property, to ensure good air flow in the new homes.

Will there be shower over bath?

Yes, there will be a shower over bath.

Can you confirm which flats will have the option for open plan/separate kitchen and living room

Currently many of you have separate kitchens and living rooms, and many tenants want to see this in their new home. The architects are therefore currently reviewing the scheme proposals to design as many units as possible with separate kitchens.

It is our intention that the majority of units will be able to accommodate a separate kitchen but this will need to be explored through detailed planning of each dwelling type to confirm the overall number of units where this can be provided. We will provide a further update once this design work has been completed.

There is a lot of condensation and mould within homes on the existing estate. What materials are you using in the new homes, and do they prevent mould?

There are regulations we have to follow to ensure water is kept out and that moisture created within homes is extracted. We will have ventilation system to keep moisture out in kitchens and bathrooms.

Having no window in the bathroom will cause damp. How are you designing for good ventilation in the flats?

We will have modern ventilation systems to ensure damp does not become an issue. These systems are used across all of the homes Bellway builds which are flats. When we get into the detailed design process we can share more information about this and how this will work in practice.

Why are some homes designed as 3B4P (three-bed, four person). Surely 3B5P homes would allow more flexibility?

The new homes have been designed in response to the housing needs of existing residents. The Housing Needs Survey indicates that there is a requirement for 35 3B4P homes, and only 7 3B5P homes, hence the majority of proposed 3-bed units are 3B4P homes.

The current proposal will create 454 habitable rooms, which represents an uplift of 96 habitable rooms on the estate. This is an overall 27% increase in affordable floor space which enables us to tackle the current overcrowding experienced by many residents.

Can the new homes be built with a separate toilet/bathroom

All 3 and 4 bedroom homes will be built with a main bathroom and separate en-suite toilet. 1 and 2 bedroom homes will be built with a main bathroom, which will include a combined bath and WC facilities. We are unable to separate the bath and WC in the main bathroom, like some existing flat layouts, as this layout does not comply with modern design and accessibility standards.

The current space standards identified indicatively in the Building Regulations require that the bathrooms (including a WC) are a minimum 3.99m2, whilst the minimum indicatively identified for WCH units is 5.72 m2. The architects have ensured that these requirements have been met as a minimum throughout. Of the existing units surveyed, the Studio and 2B4P flats do not currently meet these requirements so many residents will get a larger bathroom.

I will need a wet room, not a shower or bath. How will this be picked up?

The new design means that all floors of the new buildings will meet modern space standards and be wheelchair accessible, and suitable for tenants with disabilities or mobility issues.

Tenants who require adaptations to their property due to disability or to the disability of a family member will be given a commitment that this will be carried out before they are required to move into their new home. Any necessary adaptations will be carried out in consultation with the tenant and their household, and with the advice of an occupational therapist before moving.

Residents have previously said they would like a mix of inset and projecting balconies. Will Riverside be providing both styles of balcony.

The current designs include a mix of inset and projecting balconies to give the scheme variety, which is something that the planners support.

However each block will only have one type of balcony. The exception to this is the upper set‐back storey on blocks B2 & C1. The planners did not want projecting balconies on the top floor set‐back like the rest of the block, hence these are inset.

The balconies will not take up floor space in each flat. They will be separate and their size will depend on the size of the flat.

What materials will be used for the balconies?

Balconies will be either glass or metal. We have previously committed that Riverside and Bellway will consult the Residents’ Steering Group regarding materials, and finishes to the new homes, including balconies. The architect will take your feedback into account and also what Planning and Design Officers say and will strike a balance.

Can I choose whether my flat faces into the estate or onto the street?

The new blocks have been designed primarily to meet the current housing needs of existing tenants, which means there are a mix of housing types and sizes in each block. We will allocate properties in line with the Local Lettings Plan and will take into consideration people’s housing needs and preferences e.g. floor level, property outlook as far as possible when allocating properties.

I don't want floor to ceiling windows in every room

We will design raised window sills in all bedrooms and there will only be a full height window in the living room.

Will the blocks definitely have lifts as I am disabled?

All of the affordable blocks will have 2 lifts, all homes will be fully accessible to all, regardless of which floor you are on.

Overall, what will the new estate be like?

The current proposal is to build approx 135 homes for social rent for existing tenants, and around 260 homes for sale. Revenue from the sale of these homes will help to fund the social housing being built. To solve overcrowding on the estate, we will build more two, three and four-bedroom homes for existing tenants.

The rebuilt estate will include landscaped communal spaces, accessible to all residents. There will be an increase in trees and planted areas, play areas for young children and spaces for those who want to rest and enjoy their new surroundings.
The new neighbourhood has been designed to meet ‘Secured by Design’ standards which are approved by the Metropolitan Police. Communal areas will be open and visible to residents, and with improved street lighting and modern entry systems to control access to blocks and amenities (such as bins and bike stores).

While we will try to meet specific requests – such as keeping neighbours together, which floor your new home is on or how it’s laid out – we cannot make firm promises to any household at this stage as plans may be adjusted to secure the planning permission needed for the redevelopment to go ahead.

You can find further detail and artists’ impressions of the new Lambeth neighbourhood, including block exteriors and communal areas, in Riverside’s offer document.

Will private homes have separate facilities to social homes?

These will be mainly one and two-bedroom flats, with some larger family-sized homes. Riverside is committed to making all communal and play spaces on the estate accessible to all new and existing residents to help build a strong community.

Can more thought be given to bin storage options? Could the bin stores be kept outside the block rather than inside?

Currently, all bin stores are located internally and will be accessed by a door on the road side of the external façade. This has been designed to meet refuse collection requirements. External bin stores are not the preferred option as they can be vandalised and may continue to attract fly-tipping. Additionally, any external stores would reduce the amount of landscaped open space for residents.

Access to the bin stores will be restricted to tenants and the estate caretaker to prevent unauthorised fly tipping and anti-social behaviour. Bin stores will be regularly checked and cleaned as part of the maintenance of the estate to minimise potential odours.

Will there be enclosed bike racks on the new estate, like those provided by the Council?

We can look into the possibility but cannot guaranteed this as those are supplied by the Council.

Why is the bike storage facility so big?

The number of cycle spaces that each block needs to accommodate is calculated using the London Plan and is not something we have control over as the requirements are set by the Mayor of London. Each cycle store is currently designed to provide the minimum requirement.

One option is to look at whether we can accommodate smaller cycle storage facilities on different floors rather than one large space on the ground floor of each block and we will look into this with the architects.

There are too many 1-bedroom properties in Block A. Can they be spread out, away from the 3 and 4-bedroom family homes to avoid any anti-social behaviour problems?

The number of units required in each block is determined by the Housing Needs Survey and decant strategy. This means that there are a mix of housing types and sizes in each of the proposed blocks, including 1B2P (one-bed 2 person) homes.

The decant strategy has changed following updates to the Housing Needs Survey and construction sequencing issues. We are currently working with the architects to finalise the decant strategy to ensure we can minimise disruption and meet our commitment of residents only having to move once. Riverside will re-confirm which blocks individual tenants will be moved to once the decant strategy has been finalised and we will work with you to allocate a property that meets your needs in line with the Local Lettings Plan. This sets out how the new homes will be allocated in a fair and transparent way.

Regarding any anti-social behaviour associated with the 1B2P units, Riverside will ensure that this is carefully monitored by the Estate Manager, Housing Officer and Community Safety Officer.

If I am moved off the ground floor, what will happen to my pets?

The floor level does not impact on having a pet. All pet owners will need to be granted written permission from Riverside to keep a pet and to sign a pet contract regardless of which floor level your new home is on.

Can you provide more secure parking and clarity on parking arrangements both during and after the works?

As stated in the Offer Document, it is our intention that external parking spaces provided on the rebuilt estate will be allocated to existing tenants who currently park on the estate. We are working to ensure that the number of parking spaces provided is enough to offer each household that currently has a parking space, one in the future.

However, the total number of parking spaces we can provide will be the decision of Lambeth Planning Authority and we cannot confirm the number of spaces that will be provided at this stage. Where more parking spaces are needed for existing tenants, we will help tenants to apply for a permit to park in the local controlled parking zone. Riverside will pay for the cost of these permits for the first five years.

During the construction works we want to minimise disruption to residents and will work with Bellway to develop a temporary parking strategy. This will set out the parking and access arrangements for the site for each phase of the redevelopment. We will help any tenant temporarily losing a space to apply for a permit to park in the local controlled parking zones, which Riverside will pay for whilst parking is not provided during the works.

How can we avoid segregated play areas on the estate?

We are committed to making communal and open spaces accessible and inclusive for all residents living on the estate. We want to build a strong community between new and existing residents and we will promote access to and use of open spaces for all residents to avoid any feeling of segregation between social and private tenants.

Can you reconsider the location of the community centre? It should be central, serving both private and social housing?

The community centre has been located in a social rent block so that it will be built in an early phase for residents to use. The existing Mo Gorman community centre is located in a residential block and this has worked well for residents using the facility.

The new centre will be built to modern design standards with efficient insulation to minimise noise disruption for those living above the centre.

We considered various options for moving the centre due to resident feedback. However, we have found that the relocation of the community centre to another social rent block would have implications on the decant strategy of that block and create delays to some residents being re-housed. Also, if the community centre was relocated to a private sale block, it would create management issues and would result in the facility being inaccessible until the end of the construction programme.

A final option was considered for a standalone community centre but this is not the preferred option as it would reduce the amount of space for parking and open space.

We don’t want the post boxes to be in communal areas due to concerns over security. Can we have individual letter boxes?

Providing post boxes in the communal areas would improve the security of the new blocks and meets Secured by Design standards. This option is preferred as post can be delivered without needing to provide access to the whole building.

However, if we are to pursue having individual door letter boxes, we would need to check whether Royal Mail would be happy to deliver to every front door. If agreed, we would need to provide a fob to Royal Mail so they can enter each block.

How will the new estate and blocks be made more secure?

The estate will meet Secured by Design Standards approved by Metropolitan Police. Through the design of the buildings we will make the estate safe and secure by providing CCTV and improving street lighting. We will create safe homes by providing secure front doors with intercom entry systems and fob-controlled access to buildings. Communal open spaces will have gated access for residents to use and enjoy and will be overlooked by nearby homes to allow for supervision.

Will tenants with mobility problems have easy access to their home?

Yes – as part of the design of the estate, there will be step-free access to all of the homes.

How will the parking be allocated on site?

During construction there will be no onsite parking. Those tenants that currently have parking permits on site will be granted parking permits that we will pay for in the Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) during construction. Thereafter those with current disabled parking permits will have these re-provided on site. The rest of the estate will be provided with a CPZ parking permit which Riverside will pay for five years; this will allow you to park in the surrounding roads.

I’m not happy with parking permit situation; it will be difficult trying to park on the street? How will the permits be awarded?

Tenants that currently have a parking permit on the estate will be issued with a CPZ parking permit, Riverside will pay for this for five years. A survey has been carried out which shows capacity for parking within the surrounding CPZ.

Will the parking permits be available as soon as the work begins?

The parking permits will be available once construction starts and you are no longer able to park on the estate.  We will write to you to confirm the timeline and process around this over the next couple of months.

Will coronavirus make Riverside re-think the scheme; I’m worried that the current design will put people in much more direct contact, with long corridors and street properties next to pavements?

The scheme has not changed as a direct result of coronavirus as there is no requirement to do this, however homes will be designed so that every household will have a private outdoor space, improved ventilation and outdoor areas for everyone to enjoy.  The quality and sustainability of homes will also make them more accessible for all residents for years to come.

I live at Canterbury Close, won’t the building of Block A in Phase 1 block out the sun coming into my home?

The building of Block A is likely to take one-two years and will impact the view and potentially light depending on where your property is situated within Canterbury Close. This will be a temporary arrangement and we will do our best to limit the impact from the building site on existing homes. When we have obtained a planning consent we will discuss with Bellway as our contractor the likely impact for residents whilst they are on site and share this information with you.

What about the block heights across the whole scheme – won’t they affect the light in flats and block out our views?

We have ensured through our design that we make as many of the new homes dual aspect as possible which means natural light can enter from different directions. We are designing the scheme so that is complies with daylight and sunlight guidance to ensure that no homes are disproportionately affected by the height of buildings that are close to them. Whilst the heights have increased the footprint of the building has been reduced which has a positive effect on the daylight/sunlight for homes next to the new buildings.

What will the gym facilities be like and will all residents have access?

All residents will be given the opportunity to use the gym. We have not yet designed the internal space in the gym but it will be 70m2 which is about the same size as 2 bedroom flat. We will discuss with residents the likely costs and how they can sign up to use the gym once we are on site.

What will happen with deliveries if we have a fob entry system?

We can explore deliveries in more detail with you at a later stage but it is likely that you have to be at home to receive any deliveries for you. Alternatively, we could have secure entrances to each block which require a fob to enter past the post boxes.  This would provide additional security whilst allowing for smaller deliveries.

How do we pay for the gym, is it free for tenants to use?

We are working through options for how the gym is paid for, it may be that residents pay for membership to the gym (a low amount) or a minimal amount is paid by all residents within their service charge. We will discuss with residents the likely costs and how they can sign up to use the gym once we are on site.

How can you make sure the outdoor spaces are safe, maintained and only used by the tenants?

Our proposal to secure the entrances to the site will help to ensure that only residents who live on the site can use the open spaces. All areas across the new development are for residents living in both private and affordable homes.

We can look at signage options, however as only residents who live on the estate will use these areas, this will help to ensure that spaces are used respectfully.

I have a family member coming to live with me, can I update my housing need and increase the number of bedrooms I need?

We have passed the design freeze stage, which means we cannot change the number or size of the homes that we have built for our existing residents. We appreciate that circumstances will change, and we will work with you to meet your housing need. If you have new family member/s coming to live with you, please ensure that you discuss this with your housing officer and provide evidence of your new occupants.

As the new development is all electric, will Riverside be supplying us with a new cooker if we currently have a gas one? If so, can I pick what cooker I would like?

We will supply and install an electric cooker (if you currently have gas), the cooker will be gifted to you, this means that we will not cover the cost of any repair or replacement. No decision has been made on the selection of cookers; we will provide more detail on this over the coming months.

Will Riverside cover the cost of an increase in car insurance due to parking on the surrounding roads?

We will consider each case on its own merit, based on evidence from your insurance company. You will need to provide a comparison of your current insurance quote, against your new quote outlining the new parking location.

Will I be compensated for having to move home?

Riverside will make a Home Loss payment of £8,100 (January 2024) to all tenants on the estate at the time they move into their new home. We will also pay a Disturbance Allowance, which includes moving costs.

We have planned redevelopment work so that our tenants only have to move once. New homes will be ready for tenants to move into before the old homes are demolished. However, tenants also have the option to be temporarily re-housed off the estate while work is underway, subject to the availability of suitable accommodation.

Tenants choosing to move away from the estate permanently – not taking up the offer of a newly-built home – will also be offered this compensation when they leave the estate.

Will the cost of removals come out of the Home Loss Payment?

No, the Home Loss Payment is a one-off payment, set by the government and reviewed annually. Disturbance payments are separate and are meant to ensure any out-of-pocket expenses due to moving are covered for residents.

How much notice will we be given to move into our new homes?

You will be given ample notice, we will be holding further resident workshops to discuss the process and timescales for moving into your new home.

Will my tenancy type, rent and service charge stay the same?

Tenants will be provided with a new home on the same tenancy type and with the same security that they have now.

Rents will be kept at the existing rent levels for all tenants whose number of bedrooms remain the same. If you move into a smaller or larger home, you will be charged the average rent for that sized home.

We will continue to consider service charges with a view to keeping them to a minimum. Riverside will agree the improved services with tenants to ensure they are getting value for money and that charges remain affordable.

Is my rent going up?

Rent levels will stay the same; it will only increase because of inflation and normal rent setting and not as a result of the redevelopment of your estate.

Is my service charge going up?

In line with our landlord offer, we have implemented a service charge offer, this means that the maximum increase to your service charge is capped at £10 per week; anything over this amount will be subsidised by Riverside for a number of years. Service charges have not been set at this stage and we will consult with residents prior to putting these in place.

How will the estate and communal areas be maintained both during and after the works?

Essential repairs and maintenance work will continue to be carried out on all existing homes while redevelopment is underway.

You can report a repair by phone on 0345 111 0000 or via My Riverside.

We recognise that residents will be affected by the works and will ensure that Bellway produces a construction management plan to set out how disruption to residents will be minimised. This will include measures for removing dirt or dust caused by works through the increased cleaning of windows/communal areas and doors. Should cars require cleaning due to the works, this will be arranged.

Your Housing Officer will continue to hold weekly surgeries for you to raise any maintenance concerns and Bellway will provide a named resident liaison officer with contact details (advertised to everyone and on-site hoardings) to ensure that residents have an on-site point of contact in case of problems during construction.

Once the work is complete, Riverside and Bellway will agree an estate management plan for the new estate to ensure that caretaking/cleaning and landscape maintenance services are provided, regardless of the tenure. We will ensure the estate is maintained and kept in good repair through regular estate inspections, which tenants will be invited to.

Will the guardians be offered a permanent home on the new estate?

The guardians occupy the flats on a licence agreement, they do not have and will not have the right to a new home on the estate.

Who is the Independent Tenant's Advisor?

The Independent Tenants’ Advisor (ITA) for tenants living on the estate is Source Partnership.

Source Partnership was selected by the Residents’ Steering Group as the best organisation to provide independent support during the redevelopment process.
Source Partnership’s role is to ensure that tenants have a say in the redevelopment proposals for the estate. They provide impartial advice and support to ensure that tenants know their rights and their options.

You can find out more or contact your ITA via the Source Partnership website.

Will anyone need to move off the estate temporarily?

No, all residents can move from their existing home straight into their new home.

It’s too long a wait for the decant given the condition of my flat. Can I move to an empty property in the meantime?

We would need to assess the condition of your home before considering a transfer, please contact your housing officer, David Wade on 0345 111 0000 to book an appointment to assess the condition of your home.

I want to move off the estate while construction works take place. How can I do that?

To request a move off the estate during construction, please email our housing team on [email protected]. They will assess your circumstance and advise on next steps. Having now merged with One Housing, we can facilitate internal moves to their stock; however, please be mindful of restrictions with availability, and priority needs, of properties within London.

I would like the option of moving to sheltered accommodation. Will this be possible?

We will visit you at home to discuss your needs and where a suitable Riverside property cannot be identified, we will work with other service providers and the local authority to find alternative accommodation to meet your needs as far as possible.

People with a medical condition should be allowed to move away during building works. Is this possible?

Tenants who live on the estate will be treated as a priority transfer should they wish to move off the estate. Riverside will offer options for temporary or permanent rehousing off the estate, subject to the availability of a suitable property.

Tenants moving on a temporary basis will have the right to return and a new home will be provided in the redevelopment that meets their housing need. Tenants moving off the estate on a permanent basis will lose their right to return.

I want to move off the estate and have filled in the forms but nothing has been done. How long will I have to wait to find out if I can move?

We are working with the housing team to identify transfers for those that wish to move off the estate. Stock in the local area is limited with very few homes becoming available to re-let. Please do contact your housing officer, David Wade for an update on your transfer.