Money and benefit welfare advice

Riverside does not insure the contents in your home so it’s important you take these steps to protect your personal belongings.



Why do I need home contents insurance?

We do not insure the contents in your home so it’s important you take the steps to protect your personal belongings. Home contents insurance covers your home items from:

  • Theft
  • Fire
  • Burst water pipes or floods
  • Vandalism or damage
  • Some accidents

Insurance for your home

It even insures you for lost or stolen house keys, your freezer contents (food) and the cost of alternative accommodation if you have to stay somewhere else after your home is damaged.

How can Riverside help me?

The insurance broker Marsh Ltd has teamed up with the insurer RSA to offer a low-priced insurance deal for you.

The scheme is provided by Marsh Ltd and RSA for our Riverside tenants, shared owners and leaseholders.

Applying is easy and you can pay weekly, fortnightly, monthly or annually. If you do make a claim, there is no excess to pay up front.

What you need to know about RSA’s tenants contents insurance

  • Tenants contents insurance financially protects the contents in your home, garage and shed.
  • Cover includes improvements you make to your home, such as new laminate flooring or a fitted kitchen.
  • You don’t have to have special door or window locks – as long as your external doors lock, its fine.

Find out more about RSA’s tenants contents insurance in their key information sheet.

Download key information sheet

  • RSA tenants contents insurance key information sheet Download

Who do I need to contact to set up my home contents insurance?

The scheme is with Royal & Sun Alliance insurance plc*, it is called SIMPLE and SIMPLE+.

You can:

If you choose to go ahead with the Simple or Simple+ home contents insurance, it is up to you to make sure the policy fits your needs.

Riverside is not involved in the day-to-day administration of the scheme other than to let you know about this option available to you.

You can decide to pick your own home contents insurance from another provider if you think it’s better or easier for you.

*The scheme, which is optional to join, is administered for the insurer Royal & Sun Alliance by a company called Ryan Direct Group (which writes out as Royal & Sun Alliance).  Ryan Direct Group issues individual policies to the tenants who apply, collects the premiums, deals with queries, and arranges for settlement of claims.  Riverside is not involved in the day-to-day administration of the scheme other than to issue prospectuses to tenants on request.

Downloadable application form

Submitting a claim

Submitting a claim for home contents insurance can be very stressful. To help the process you can now access an online claims portal provided by the insurer. You can use the portal to submit a claim and track its process.

You can find the claims portal here.

Need support or advice with Welfare Benefit and Pension claims or appeals?

Sometimes, the complexities within the Welfare Benefits and Pension systems can make it difficult to know what you are entitled to claim and how to make an application.  We also know that many claims are turned down when they shouldn’t be and asking for a reconsideration or making an appeal can be daunting.  This is where our Money Advice Team can help.  They are specialists in this field and can assist you with a simple query or take you on a journey through a claim or appeal from start to finish.

They also have access to a range of extra support including affordable warmth advice, specialist debt advice and help finding employment.

Have you done a Benefit check?

If you would like to receive support from our service, please fill in the form below and we will call you back within 5 working days.

  • This is a 13 digit number (no spaces) and can be found on letters from Riverside.