Rent a home

You can apply for many of our homes on different websites and through local authorities. Find out how and search for the area you want to live in.

Other homes


You can apply for many of our homes on different websites and through local authorities.

In some areas this is via a waiting list that you need to register for. The other option is through a local choice based lettings partnership which lets you apply for the homes you’re interested in rather than going on a waiting list. Where possible, we advertise our homes through these lettings partnerships where you can see properties from lots of landlords all in one place.

In some areas, a number of properties are also given to people referred by the local authority. This is called a local authority nomination.

Other Homes

How do I apply for a home?

Search for the area that you want to live in below and follow the instructions for the relevant scheme in that area. The process does involve filling in some forms online so please be ready for that.


We advertise many of our properties through Swindon Homebid. This is a choice based lettings scheme allocating Swindon Borough Council and Partner Housing Association properties for social and affordable rent in the Swindon Borough. You will need to complete an on-line application form Computers are available to use free of charge at the Council offices in Beckhampton Street, Swindon or visit your local library. Please make a note of your unique reference number which appears on the second page when completing the online application. This will also enable you to go back to the application form. What documents will I need to provide (Photocopy only)? Along with your application form you will need to provide the following:
  • Identity for each adult: (e.g. passport, driving licence, Armed Forces ID, Student ID, bank statement, EU ID card, entitlement to benefit (not Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits)
  • Where you live now: (e.g. utilities or council tax bill, benefit letter, driving licence, tenancy agreement but not a mobile phone bill) Driving Licences, Bank Statements or letters of entitlement to Benefit (other than Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits) will count as both proof of identity and address
  • Proof of employment income: payslips 2 x monthly or 3 x fortnightly or 5 x weekly for each applicant in employment) and a contract of employment
  • Leave to remain or Refugee Status: Passport or right to remain papers
  • Armed Forces: Discharge paper with date of discharge or proof of previous discharge if within 5 years of application
  • Residency of dependant children: Recent copy of a full Child Benefit letter showing your children’s names or recent bank statement showing receipt of payments
  • Benefits/Pension: e.g. Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Job Seeker’s Allowance, Income Support (current letters of eligibility). These will also count as proof of identity and address
Ways to provide your documents to us:
  • Email your scanned documents to [email protected]
  • Fax to 01793 463307
  • Post to Homebid Team, Housing Needs, Swindon Borough Council, Wat Tyler House, Beckhampton Street, Swindon SN1 2JH
  • Call into the Council’s Reception at Beckhampton Street and ask for an Adviser to copy your documents and obtain a receipt.
Any customer who requires assistance in registering can call the Homebid Team on 01793 445503. This service will only be available as a last resort, if you have no family,friends or an advocate to assist you.      

Help us improve

Was this information helpful?

  • We are always open to suggestions on improvements for
  • Terms and conditions * REQUIRED
  • We are always open to suggestions on improvements for
  • Terms and conditions * REQUIRED
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.